Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Ten things I've learned from teaching



Today I'm linking up with Miss Kindergarten for this fun linky party.

1) Always focus on the positive!  This can be true for everything, but especially with behavior.  The more you focus on who's doing what right, the more students will be doing what's right and following directions.  I also like building in positive rewards for those students who are doing the right thing and making good choices.  I started using Class Dojo last year, to help focus on the positive and help my students positive points for following directions.

2) Spend a lot of time at the beginning of the year focusing on expectations and routines, and stick with them during the year.  It really helps reduce the amount of behavior issues you have during the school year.   The First Days of School by Harry Wong and his wife is a great resource that gives you ideas about the importance of having routines and expectations those all important first days of school.

 

3) Find a balance!  One of the hardest things during the school year, is taking the time to take care of yourself.  Take the time to exercise and/or do the fun things you do to relieve stress.  There's always the temptation to do more, more, more, but you'll be a better teacher if you take care of yourself.

4) Get to know the  custodian and office managers.   They can be really helpful in getting you the materials you need during the school year.  They're a great resource.

5) Stay on top of your paperwork.  This is especially true for special education teachers.  Make sure you get organized at the start of the year and figure out when your ieps are and get started on them ahead of time.  

6) I love using Touch Math for teaching calculation-especially with adding and subtracting.  I try and stock up on a stash of materials from them every year.  

7) The Allowance Game is a fun way to reinforce money.  My kids love it and it makes math a lot of fun.

 

8) Students love technology and I'm always trying to learn more ways to incorporate it in my classroom.  I finally got a projector last year.  This year I want to work on trying to get more technology in my classroom-hopefully with ipads and ipods.  I also try and incorporate computer time in the classroom as much as possible.

9) Spend a lot of time at the beginning of the school year organizing your classroom.  Try and make it kid friendly, but cute and inviting.  Make plans for handling your paperwork (correcting, reports etc.).  It'll pay off in the long run.

10) All kids can learn!  You just sometimes need to find different ways for them to approach that learning.  Sometimes they need to hear the same information over and over and over until they finally get it!


1 comment:

  1. Great advice! I highly recommend Harry Wong's book too! It is very useful! :)

    Pam
    Diary of a Second Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments ; )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...