Monday, December 3, 2012

Writing super sentences!!

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  Mine was nice and relaxing.  I went to the swing dance anniversary couple that were celebrating their 50th anniversary party and another celebrating their 1st anniversary party.  That's what I love about swing dancing, such a wide variety of ages and groups of people.

 The weather was beautiful so I was able to do yoga outdoors and went for a for a nice run.  Many of my students have good ideas, but really struggle with using conventions in their writing.  So I decided that it was time to start focusing on the basics, writing complete sentences using the correct conventions.  I used the book called  Write a Super Sentence.  They discuss two types of sentences Level 1 and Level 2 sentences.  Level 1 consists of an adjective, noun and a verb.  Level 2 have an adjective, a noun, a verb, as well as telling the reader where and when the story takes place. 

We started off by creating some Level 1 sentences, then moved on quickly to creating Level 2 ones with the students.  I pick the noun and they brainstorm adjectives, verbs and where and when words.  After that, they partner up and pick up a sentences using the different words in that sentences, then they tell the group.  After that they take out the white boards and practice writing complete sentences, making sure they use capital letters, punctuation and using connecting words.

The students seem to really like this activity and do a good job, participating and brainstorming ideas.  I wish I'd brought my camera in today so that I could show everyone.  They turned out really well.

What do you do for teaching the writing of sentences? 

Happy Monday!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments ; )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...